Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Bluebird #12... thank you





Bluebird #12... Has landed! While proofing my December 12 entry I got an inkling of where #12 should land. The place was closed and rather than suffering a breaking & entering charge I waited until today.

I don’t know why Thing One & Thing Two came in to my head last night except that the activity in my mind yesterday was very similar to the “fun that is funny!” carrying on in Sally & her brother’s house… with the Cat in the Hat as the Ring Master. But while checking my facts on line I found some interesting information on Wikipedia, one of my favorite websites I became inspired…

In 1954 there was an article in LIFE magazine about the reading levels of American children. Apparently their reading levels were very low and the author, John Hershey listed many reasons why, but one in particular I enjoyed being a rebel from way back:



“…In the classroom boys and girls are confronted with six books that have insipid illustrations depicting the slicked-up lives of other children. Feature abnormally courteous, unnaturally clean boys and girls. . . .”

Then at the end of the article there was a shout out to the imaginative illustrators of the day to create a primer textbook for elementary students, Theodor Geisel being one of the illustrators.
Long story short Dr. Suess wrote Cat in the Hat to help children enjoy learning to read. It was the first in a series of Beginner Readers he wrote and illustrated. I am so happy that he was inspired to do so because these are the books that I learned to read.

Soooo, Bluebird #12 has landed in the Children’s Library at E.P. Foster Library on Main Street Ventura, next to Cat in the Hat and Green Eggs & Ham.

No comments:

Post a Comment