Friday, December 9, 2011

Bluebird #9





I was thinking about trees today and how much I enjoy having them around me. I love listening and watching the birds in the trees in my backyard. Of course they provide us with oxygen and help balance our carbon foot print but there is more to trees that I love.


For some reason trees give me a sense of security. They provide shade from the sun and cover from the rain. They are like our ancestors, like the Ents in Lord of the Rings. So I was trying to think of a representative of our local Ents and I thought of the huge Moreton Bay fig tree on the corner of Chestnut & Santa Clara. This tree was planted in 1874. I think it qualifies as an ancestor. The Great Moreton Bay Fig feels like a protector.

This park is a lovely public space with playground and bandstand… and like many of our public parks there are also quite a few homeless people. Where else can you go if you are without your own home? I hope the Great Moreton brings a feeling of hope and protection to the people of the park.


I want to say more here and I just don't know what to say. I want to say I'm sorry that those people have to live on the street. I'm not saying I'm sorry because it's my fault... it just makes me sad to see them suffer. And I wish them a vision of hope... that they see a way to solution.


Bluebird #9 has landed in the folding roots of our historic Moreton Bay Fig tree in Plaza Park as a little token of hope for the people of the park.

No comments:

Post a Comment