Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Bluebird #27



One of my grandmothers was a fantastic knitter. She made sweaters, baby bonnets, booties and other items. She did a lot of hand work. I have taken up the tradition. I have been knitting for about a year now having taught myself out of a book. So I have been knitting at home or backstage in between quick changes & costume changes. Mostly I was making wash cloths. I was knitting squares… lots of squares.

I got to the point where I really wanted to be part of a knitting circle so I could expand my horizons beyond squares and meet new people. I mentioned in an earlier blog that in August I joined a group on meetup.com. It is a group of people who knit and crochet.

We meet every Tuesday evening at a Starbucks in Ventura. They are women from all walks of life. We sit and compare knitting projects and share patterns and techniques. There are beginners to advanced knitters. It has been fun getting to know these women.

Lately most of us have been working on gifts for family and friends. But a few of the ladies also knit items for charities and they get the group to participate on group projects. One of the projects was the Mother bear Project (http://www.motherbearproject.org/ ) a charity dedicated to providing hope to children affected by HIV/AIDS in Africa by giving them hand-knit bears. There have also been local charities they have donated knitted items. Tonight the host of the group was knitting an afghan to be given to some one on skid row.

This is another reason I joined the group- knitting for charities. Knitting is a way I can contribute to the world beyond my family and friends. This group of knitters gives me a lot of hope and these ladies have a lot of heart.

Right outside the window Bluebird #27 landed & watched happily while we sat and knitted our yarn into pieces of hope.

1 comment:

  1. Stacie, please give me a call at your soonest convenience. 648-2244 ext. 212.

    ReplyDelete