Thursday, December 29, 2011

Bluebird #28



There is a building on the corner of Laurel & Main Street in Ventura that use to be a church. Now it is a theater, a small theater but a very good theater. It is called The Rubicon. Karyl Lynn Burns and James O’Neil founded the theater company in 1998 and brought the company into this building on Laurel & Main in 1999.

The first play I saw there was “Night of the Iguana”. I think it was 2004. I was blown away by the level of professionalism of the production. The story, the acting and the set design in such a small space is what amazed me. Since then I have seen several productions and never was I disappointed.

Now I have the privilege of working for the Rubicon as a costumer. Now I get to see the whole thing built from scratch and performed for weeks at a time. I see the heart that goes in to every single performance from backstage. I get to hear the audience respond before, during and after the performance. I see the hope come alive in our community through the magic of the theater. And for this I am very grateful.

Bluebird #27 landed on the front stoop of the Rubicon right next to a spider weaving its daily web.

http://rubicontheatre.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment