Friday, December 9, 2011

Bluebird #8



Bluebird #8… posted a day late but landed on time…


After spending the morning with a friend I drove past Lincoln School on my way to my clay studio. The children were at recess and the playground was bursting with energy. There were screams & yelps, laughing & talking, balls bouncing, jumping & running. I remember those days of fun filled recess! It was exhilarating to get out of the classroom for awhile and run wild with my friends.

Two of my favorite recess activities were playing on the swings & the horizontal bar. On the swings, I used to swing as high as it would take me and then flip off backwards and land on my feet. It was like flying. I loved it.

On the horizontal bars I would sit atop the bar and then swing backwards with the bar behind my knees with enough momentum to come back to the top of the bar. And for the finale dismount, I would flip off and land on my feet. I did this until Lisa Wormhouse broke her arm and it didn’t seem like such a good idea any more. But I kept flipping off the swings! No one broke anything over there.

Playful memories… Playing in our adulthood gets hard. We start racking up the responsibilities and we don’t have time. Well I’m here to saw, there is always time to play! And sometimes we need to take risks. Lifting your spirit in play & laughter is just as important as meeting our responsibilities. Think about what you use to do as a youngling that would bring you hope & joy… And do it! Go on! It will be fun! Some of us need to learn to skip again. I’m thinking about finding a swing. Don’t worry, I’m not going to flip off of it… but I will see how high it will take me!

So Bluebird #8 landed at Lincoln School, Ventura where the children reminded me that adults need to play too.

No comments:

Post a Comment